YES (Youth Eco Summit)
at Newington Armory, Sydney Olympic Park
The Youth Eco Summit (YES) held at Newington Armory, Sydney Olympic Park on 23-24 October 2013 was hugely successful.
In 2013 YES attracted 6600 Students, 153 Schools and over 55 program providers. This year 77 schools participated via video conferences, including from schools from Alaska, Germany, Vanuatu, and Malaysia.
YES is a unique, curriculum-based sustainability event for school students and their teachers. The program promotes student leadership and showcases sustainability achievements and practices in both primary and secondary schools. Choose from 1 of 2 action packed days.
Students and teachers participated in international video conferences, more cultural performances, displays, career advice, teacher resources and hands-on workshops.
YES showcases sustainability in many forms including Business Innovation, Skills for the 21st Century, Agriculture, Social Inclusion & Equity, Strengthening Communities, Health and Well- being, Arts & Culture, Environment, Resource Management, Media & Communications and Advocacy.
University of Western Sydney, Sydney Olympic Park Authority & the Department of Educations and Communties - organisers of the Youth Eco Summit were recently named as Winners of the 2013 Green Globe Award for Public Sector Sustainability.
View videos made by students at YES 2013
Opt-in to receive our Learning Comes Alive education e-newsletter
- Terms and Conditions
- Venue & Safety Assessment
What participants said about YES 2012:
- The connection the presenters made with the primary school kids was amazing. (Teacher)
- We had a fabulous time at the eco-summit. Congratulations on a job well done. (Teacher)
- I see this generation as the next leaders in the world... Students educated in that way are preparing our future. (Teacher)
- We have learned mostly about how we can do things to save the planet today. (Student)
- It’s about doing little things like turning off the television at the switch and walking instead of getting a bus. (Student)
- YES is all about encouraging students to stand up and be heard on important environmental issues, as well as providing guidance about careers and learning pathways. (Provider)
- We were very impressed with the layout, theme areas, expos and the number/range of presenters. (Provider)
- Congratulations to the team and all the Western Sydney schools involved for their commitment, organisation and success. (Senior staff of Western Sydney DEC)
- The extensive hands-on workshop program effectively linked students and teachers with a wide range of sustainability resources. (Senior staff of Western Sydney DEC)
YES is proudly presented by: