Notice to media covering AFL and NRL Preliminary Finals
18 Sep 2012
Sydney Olympic Park Authority wishes to remind reporters and media commentators that the 2012 AFL and NRL Preliminary Grand Final matches (21 and 22 Sep) and the NRL Grand Final (30 Sep) will be held at ANZ Stadium at Sydney Olympic Park – not in Homebush which is a separate (neighbouring) suburb.
Sydney Olympic Park was officially declared a suburb by the NSW Geographic Names Board in 2009.
Incorrect reference to the venue causes confusion and may lead commuters to disembark incorrectly (especially via trains) in the wrong suburb when travelling to events.
Crowds of up to 70,000 are expected at ANZ Stadium to see the AFL’s Sydney Swans take-on the Collingwood Magpies on Friday 21 September. Similar crowds are anticipated on Saturday 22 September when the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs and the South Sydney Rabbitohs will compete for a place in the NRL Grand Final at ANZ Stadium on Sunday 30 September 2012.
Tickets to all three matches include FREE travel to-and-from Sydney Olympic Park on CityRail trains, Sydney Olympic Park Major Event Buses, regular Sydney Buses, and Liverpool to Parramatta T-way Buses.
Those planning to drive should aim to get to Olympic Park early to allow for traffic delays and large crowds.
With potential long delays on Homebush Bay Drive, motorists are advised to use the following alternative routes:
• North: Through Top Ryde, take Victoria Rd, then Silverwater Rd and Holker St.
• South: Turn onto Parramatta Rd, then onto Hill Rd.
• West: Turn onto Silverwater Rd, then onto Holker St or Hill Rd.
• East: Take Parramatta Rd, then Birnie Ave or Hill Rd.
If you are driving along Victoria Rd consider taking Silverwater Rd then Holker St.
FREE pre-match entertainment will be available at Sydney Olympic Park before gates open at ANZ Stadium:
• Fri 21 Sep 2012: AFL Preliminary Final – Sydney Swans v Collingwood: 6pm (for first bounce at 7.50pm)
• Sat 22 Sep 2012: NRL Preliminary Final – Bulldogs v Rabbitohs: 3pm (for kick-off at 7.45pm)
• Sun 30 Sep 2012: NRL Telstra Premiership Grand Final: 11.45am (for 5pm kick-off)
The entertainment offering will include live performances and a bar area at Cathy Freeman Park (opp ANZ Stadium). More than 20 internationally-themed food stalls will also operate on Olympic Boulevard and at Fig Grove (near the Aquatic Centre) and a variety of cafés and restaurants on Dawn Fraser Ave will be open before each game kicks-off.