Supporter trains roll in for NRL Grand Final
01 Oct 2014
Whether you’re a Bulldog or Bunny, show your support on an NRL Grand Final train.
Footy fans heading to this Sunday’s NRL Grand Final will be able to start their celebrations early, with a choice of special supporter trains named after Bulldogs and Rabbitohs stars heading direct to Olympic Park.
With ANZ Stadium now officially a full-house, Minister for Sport and Recreation Stuart Ayres is encouraging crowds to make the most of this special transport to the game.
“The NRL Grand Final is one of Sydney’s best annual events and we want to play our part in making it even more special for fans,” Mr Ayres said.
“It’s not just these special supporter trains, there’s direct services to Olympic Park from Central and Blacktown as frequently as every six minutes, as well as major event buses that start running from midday.
“Sydney Trains staff will be decked out in their local team’s colours and Belmore and Bankstown stations will be decorated for the Bulldogs and Redfern for the Rabbitohs, while Central Station will be decorated in both teams’ colours,” Mr Ayres added.
Tickets to the match include travel on suburban and intercity trains, Sydney Olympic Park Major Event Buses, regular buses, Sydney Ferries and Light Rail services.
There will be four special trains for Rabbitohs fans from Central to Olympic Park, stopping at Redfern and Strathfield:
- The “Rabbitohs Express” departs Central Station at 4.09pm arriving at Olympic Park at 4.30pm.
- The “Sutto Express” leaves Central at 4.27pm and arrives at Olympic Park at 4.50pm.
- The “Burgess Express” departs Central at 5.08pm, arriving at Olympic Park at 5.30pm.
- The “GI Express” leaves Central at 5.27pm and arrives at Olympic Park at 5.48pm.
Four Bulldogs supporter trains will run direct from Sydenham to Olympic Park through the team’s heartland, stopping at Marrickville, Dulwich Hill, Hurlstone Park,
Canterbury, Campsie, Belmore, Lakemba, Wiley Park, Punchbowl, Bankstown, Birrong and Lidcombe.
- The “Des’s Direct” departs from Sydenham at 4.09pm, arriving at Olympic Park at 4.55pm.
- The “Reynolds Rocket” leaves Sydenham at 4.39pm and arrives at Olympic Park at 5.26pm.
- The “Bupa Bandwagon” departs Sydenham at 5.09pm, arriving at Olympic Park at 5.57pm.
- The “T-Rex Rocket” leaves Sydenham at 5.39pm and arrives at Olympic Park at 6.27pm.
- Trains to Olympic Park will leave Central every 15 minutes between 1pm and 3pm, then every 10 minutes until 5pm and then every six minutes until 7pm.
- Trains to Olympic Park will leave Blacktown every 10 minutes from 3pm until 5pm, then every six minutes until 7pm.
- Blue Mountains Line trains heading towards Sydney will make an extra stop at Lidcombe between midday and 7pm.
- Sydney Olympic Park Major Event Buses will start running between midday and 12:45pm, depending on the route. Changes have been made to Route 2 and 3 services so check before you travel.
- Trains to Central will leave Olympic Park every six minutes between 7pm and 11pm.
- Trains to Blacktown will leave Olympic Park every six minutes between 7pm and 11pm.
- Extra T1 Western Line trains to Richmond will leave Olympic Park at 9:24pm and 10:24pm.
- Blue Mountains Line trains leaving Central at 9:18pm, 10:18pm, 11:18pm and 12:18am Monday will make an extra stop at Lidcombe.
- Sydney Olympic Park Major Event Buses will start leaving at around 9:30pm, with the last service departing around an hour after full time.
To plan your journey visit transportnsw.info or call 131 500.
MEDIA: John Redman – 0400 298 929