Olympic Cauldron at Sydney Olympic ParkEvery day - Cathy Freeman Park
The lighting of The Cauldron was one of the most spectacular aspects of the Sydney 2000 Olympic Games. Champion sprinter Cathy Freeman walked to the centre of a pool of water and as she swept the flaming Olympic torch across the water, a ring of fire rose from the water as The Cauldron joined the mast, which emerged from behind the northern stand of the stadium for the duration of the Games of the XXVII Olympiad.
After the Games, The Cauldron was relocated to Cathy Freeman Park (formerly The Overflow), a few hundred metres from where it burned in the Olympic Stadium. The names of the 1,972 Olympic Medalists and 2,627 Paralympic Medallists at the Sydney Games are recorded on gold, silver and bronze nameplates at the base of The Cauldron. A shallow dome of white marble commemorates the first Olympic Games of the modern era, held in Athens in 1896.
The Olympic Cauldron at Sydney Olympic Park stands cascading on 24 stainless steel columns. At the 10th Anniversary of the Olympic Games, 15 September 2010, The Overflow was renamed Cathy Freeman Park in honour of the famous athlete who will be forever associated with The Cauldron's spectactular entry into the history books.
Cathy Freeman Park can be found on our Park map.
- All Ages
- More info:
- Call 02 9714 7888 or email email@example.com