Olympic Cauldron - Public ArtEvery day - Cathy Freeman Park
The lighting of the Olympic Cauldron was one of the most spectacular moments of the Sydney 2000 Olympic Games. Cathy Freeman walked to a pool of water, and as she swept the flaming Olympic torch across it, a ring of fire sprung from the submerged Olympic Cauldron. The flaming Olympic Cauldron, with water cascading from its lower flutings, then rose to be joined with the mast, which emerged from behind the northern stand of the Stadium. This combined structure then ascended to its maximum height, where it stood for the duration of the Games.
After the Games, the Olympic Cauldron was relocated to Cathy Freeman Park, a few hundred metres from where it burned in the Olympic Stadium.
The names of the 1,972 Olympic Medalists and 2,627 Paralympic Medallists at the Sydney Games are recorded on gold, silver and bronze nameplates at the base of the Olympic Cauldron. A shallow dome of white marble commemorates the first Olympic Games of the modern era, held in Athens in 1896.
Reignited to commemorate special occasions, including future Olympic Games held at other sites, the Olympic Cauldron stands on 24 stainless steel columns and weighs approximately seven tonnes.
Location: Northern end of Cathy Freeman Park
Artists: Michael Scott-Mitchell, original Cauldron design
Cauldron relocation to Cathy Freeman Park
Tzannes Associates, relocation designers
Don Ledingham, water feature
FCT (Adelaide), fire element
Richard Green of Taylor Thompson Whitting,
Barry Webb and Iain Clarke of Barry Webb
Associates, electrical and lighting
Craig Burton, landscape
Imants Tillers, art overlay