09 Jul 2020
In Sydney Olympic Park’s 20th anniversary since the ‘Best Games ever’, Seven will broadcast two landmark Olympic Games specials that revisit all the magic moments of Sydney 2000.
The Opening Ceremony in Sydney was the show that stopped a nation, with more than 10 million metropolitan viewers tuning in on Seven. On Wednesday, July 29 – just days after the one-year countdown to the Tokyo Games – Australians can rediscover all the unforgettable moments and, for the first time, hear the inside secrets behind the night’s spectacular successes and near-disasters.
This once-in-a-lifetime special event, The Opening Ceremony of the Olympic Games Sydney 2000 Uncovered, features newly filmed interviews with the people who made that landmark night so special, including:
· Headline acts Vanessa Amorosi, James Morrison, Human Nature, Adam Garcia, Djakapurra Munyarryun and Nikki Webster, whose spectacular performance at just 13 years of age wowed the world
· The creative geniuses behind the Ceremony and two of the world’s greatest show producers, David Atkins and Ric Birch and their contemporaries, the brilliant Dein Perry, Rhoda Roberts, Meryl Tankard, Lex Marinos and Chong Lim.
· Stunning performances from John Farnham, Olivia Newton-John, Tina Arena and Julie Anthony
· Australian Olympic Flag bearer Andrew Gaze and the hometown hero who stole the whole show, Catherine Freeman
· AND, just as importantly, the impressionable youngsters whose Olympic dream was born on that inspirational night: Tokyo 2020 medal contenders Cate Campbell, Bronte Campbell, Jess Fox, Mack Horton, Emma McKeon and Ellia Green.
Then on Wednesday, August 5, Seven will take fans back to the extraordinary two weeks of competition that followed in Sydney with a two-hour special on the Olympic Games Sydney 2000 Moments that Moved Us.
Hosted by Sunrise’s Mark Beretta, Seven’s Olympic Games experts led by Bruce McAvaney, Johanna Griggs, Mark Beretta, Dennis Cometti, Pat Welsh, Lord Sebastian Coe, Tamsyn Manou and Raelene Boyle have revisited the Games of the XXVII Olympiad and caught up with some of the athletes whose deeds captivated the nation. They include:
· Swimming stars Ian Thorpe, Susie O’Neill, Grant Hackett, Kieren Perkins, Michael Klim, Bill Kirby and Todd Pearson
· Gold medalists Andrew Hoy (equestrian), Lauren Burns (taekwondo), Rechelle Hawkes (hockey), Yvette Higgins (water polo), Kerri Pottharst and Natalie Cook (beach volleyball), and Belinda Stowell (sailing, 470 Class)
· Silver medalists and fan favourites Tatiana Grigorieva (pole vault) and Ji Wallace (trampoline gymnastics)
· International track and field Superstars Maurice Greene, Ato Boldon and Michael Johnson
Tuesday July 28
Towards Tokyo: The Opening Ceremony of the Olympic Games Sydney 2000 Uncovered
9.15pm on Channel 7 and 7plus
Tuesday August 4
Towards Tokyo: Olympic Games Sydney 2000 Moments That Moved Us
9.15pm on Channel 7 and 7plus