Outdoor Spaces for Hire

Frequently Asked Questions

Have bookings in the parklands changed due to Covid-19?
Yes. Please visit our Terms and Conditions for the most up to date information. Sites and permits have restricted capacities and all bookings must complete and return a Covid Safety Plan.

Is self-catering permitted at bookable sites?
Yes. You can book one of our pavilions for exclusive use and self-cater your event. If you wish to engage a supplier please see below. *Note self-catering/catering is currently not permitted for wedding bookings.

Can I organise an external supplier to provide catering?
Yes. Some locations allow for this, including the Education Centre Shade Sail, Banquet Tables, Twin Shade Sails and Hill Pavilion. All catering must be organised by you and an application process takes place to approve the catering services and vehicle access. The sale of food and beverages is not permitted.

Is there somewhere I can buy food?
Yes. There is a café at the Waterview Convention Centre, next to the Village Green Playground and close to Lake Belvedere.

Are there barbeques in the parklands? Do I need to book one?
Yes. There are many barbeques (electric and gas) which are FREE to use and not bookable, they are a shared facility. Use our interactive maps to check public barbeque locations If bringing a charcoal barbeque to the park, heat beads must be disposed of in the correctly marked bins. In the event of a total fire ban, only electric barbeques can be used.

Where are the closest toilets?
Please use our interactive maps to check locations

Am I able to hire a jumping castle or similar amusement device as entertainment at my party?
Yes. Some locations allow for this, including the Banquet Tables, Twin Shade Sails and Hill Pavilion. Any amusement devices must be organised by you and approved through our application process.

Why do amusements have to be approved?
All activities in the parklands are restricted by a Parklands Approval Permit. Any suppliers of amusement devices are checked to ensure they have $20 million Public Liability Insurance and comply with government legislation such as Work Health and Safety Regulation 2011 – Plant & Structures.

If I book a pavilion and make payment, does my amusement automatically get approved?
No. You must return your Amusement Device Application Form to sitehire@sopa.nsw.gov.au and await appropriate approval.

What does the Ranger Assistance fee cover?
The fee is to ensure all commercial suppliers are escorted safely through our parklands by a Park Ranger to and from your booked site. Rangers will liaise with your suppliers directly, to oversee the correct installation of any amusement devices, catering or marquees.

Can I bring a small pop-up shelter to use in the parklands?
Yes. A small pop-up shelter up to 3mx3m is permitted. It must be weighted using sandbags or similar, pegs are not permitted. There is no application process or fee for this. However, any commercial marquees that require installation must be approved through our approval process. Fees and charges apply.

Can I bring a marquee to the parklands for my event?
Yes. Some locations allow for this, including the Education Centre Shade Sail, Twin Shade Sails and Hill Pavilion and for wedding ceremonies at The Treillage. Any marquees must be organised by you and approved through our application process. Fees and charges apply. Note marquees up to a maximum of 3m x 6m are permitted and structures greater than 3m x 3m require separate approval and must follow all guidelines and requirements set by Sydney Olympic Park. An engineer’s certificate upon erection must be provided as per guidelines to Sydney Olympic Park staff.

Can I book an event at night in the parklands?
No, the parklands close at sunset daily. Bookings during non-daylight savings conclude by 4.30pm and during daylight savings by 7.30pm.

What do I do if the weather is not suitable for an outdoor picnic and I need to postpone my booking?
Let us know if you wish to postpone/move your booking and we can assist with re-booking an alternative date. Emails can be sent to: sitehire@sopa.nsw.gov.au. Please note all bookings are non-refundable.

For wedding ceremonies in the park, do I need to organise my own chairs, arbour, carpet and signing table?
Yes. Once you have booked either the Arc of Pines or the Treillage you can organise your own stylist or supplier to provide any of the above. However, there are restrictions in the parklands, be sure to check what is permitted before booking. Emails can be sent to: sitehire@sopa.nsw.gov.au. Note, The Jetty is bare site hire only.

How much is parking, and where is the closest parking station?
Bicentennial Park - parking is free on weekends. Weekday restrictions in different areas of the park include 2P and 4P parking.
Wentworth Common – parking is 4P 7am-7pm, and 1P all other times.
The closest parking station to Bicentennial Park is P4, and to Wentworth Common is P6. To pre-book parking please visit our parking page.