Hire a space FAQs

Frequently asked questions when hiring a space at Sydney Olympic Park.


Allow enough time for parking and plan ahead. To ensure a parking space, please pre-book. 

Bicentennial Park - parking is free on weekends. Weekday restrictions in different areas of the park include 2P and 4P parking.

When busy, we suggest safely dropping off guests in the Park (close to your booked site) and parking in P3. 

Wentworth Common – parking is 4P 7am-7pm on weekends, and 1P all other times.

There are a number of car parks along Marjorie Jackson Parkway (non-bookable) which are 7am – 7pm weekends and 2P weekdays.

Pre-book parking

Is self-catering permitted at bookable sites?

Yes. You can book one of our pavilions for exclusive use and self-cater your event. 

*Note self-catering/catering is currently not permitted for wedding bookings.

Can I organise an external supplier to provide catering?

Yes. Some locations allow for this, including the Education Centre Shade Sail, Banquet Tables, Twin Shade Sails and Hill Pavilion. You'll need to organise catering and an application process takes place to approve the catering services and vehicle access. The sale of food and beverages is not permitted.

Are there barbeques in the parklands? Do I need to book one?

Yes. There are many barbeques (electric and gas) which are FREE to use and not bookable, they are a shared facility. Use our interactive maps to check public barbeque locations.

If you bring a charcoal barbeque to the park, heat beads must be disposed of in the correctly marked bins.

You may bring your own BBQ to the park, but please follow these rules:

  • It must be placed in a clear area, away from fuel and never on tables or other infrastructure
  • No private BBQs can be used on Total Fire Ban days
  • No wood-burning BBQs
  • Gas bottle must be within test dates
  • Charcoal can be used with personal BBQs and bins are provided onsite, located near the public BBQs

Is there electricity/power points available in the Park?

No. Electricity is not available in the Park. If you are engaging a commercial supplier, they must have their own power source. Any generators must be approved prior to use in the Park. For more information and approvals contact sitehire@sopa.nsw.gov.au


Please use our interactive map to check locations.

Jumping castles or similar amusement devices

Inflatable amusements are not permitted, all other amusement devices are subject to approval. View more information and permits

Why do amusements have to be approved?

All activities in the parklands are restricted by a Parklands Approval Permit. Any suppliers of amusement devices are checked to ensure they have $20 million Public Liability Insurance and comply with government legislation such as Work Health and Safety Regulation 2011 – Plant & Structures.

If I book a pavilion and make payment, does my amusement automatically get approved?

No. You must return your Amusement Device Application Form to sitehire@sopa.nsw.gov.au and await appropriate approval.

Petting zoo or pony rides

Petting zoos, pony rides and similar are not permitted.

Walk-in entertainer (e.g. magician, fairy or face painter)

Site hire spaces allow for this. Any such entertainers must be organised by you and approved through our application process. They must be able to provide a copy of their current Public Liability Insurance. 

As they are walk-in entertainers they will not require Park Ranger assistance and must walk to your booked site. If they require any assistance or need to be escorted off road to the shelter, additional fees will apply and this must organised through the application process.

What does the Ranger Assistance fee cover?

The fee is to ensure all commercial suppliers are escorted safely through our parklands by a Park Ranger to and from your booked site. Rangers will liaise with your suppliers directly, to oversee the correct installation of any amusement devices, catering or marquees. A maximum of 4 escorts per booking of this service will be supplied. Guest and service vehicles that are parked contrary to marked parking may incur infringement notices/penalties. 

Can I bring a small pop-up shelter to use in the parklands?

Yes. A small pop-up shelter up to 3mx3m is permitted. Two shelters may be permitted (upon request) and must be at least 6m apart. It must be weighted using sandbags or similar, pegs are not permitted. There is no application process or fee for this. Marquees or shelters greater than 3m x 3m are not permitted. For more information contact sitehire@sopa.nsw.gov.au.

Can I book an event at night in the parklands?

No, the parklands close at sunset daily. Bookings during non-daylight savings conclude by 4.30pm and during daylight savings by 7.30pm.

Postponing due to weather

If the weather is not suitable for an outdoor picnic let us know if you wish to postpone/move your booking and we can assist with re-booking an alternative date. Emails can be sent to: sitehire@sopa.nsw.gov.au. Please note all bookings are non-refundable.

Amplified sound (speakers and microphones)

Amplified noise must be kept to a minimum to not disturb other park users. The level of amplified noise must not exceed 5dBA above the ambient background noise, a legal requirement of the Environmental Protection Agency. 

Restrictions on the type and size of decorations/props

The following decorations/props are not permitted:

  • Any candles, fireworks (any form), sparklers, fires and bamboo torches
  • Coloured powders/liquids and confetti 
  • Decorations cannot be attached to trees, plants or frog fences. This includes, but is not limited to, signs, streamers, balloons, sticky tape, rope or similar.

All decorations must be removed and disposed of prior to leaving your site.

Approval must be sought for any large backdrops, signs, arbours, lettering etc. Pegging or staking of these is not permitted in the Park. Weighting items may be considered as part of the approval process and can only occur as part of a paid site hire.  

Is the use of confetti, petals or rice permitted?

Unfortunately, no. Confetti, bio-confetti, rice, flower petals or similar are not permitted, as these often contaminate the natural environment and become a hazard to our wildlife.

I am having a gender reveal, can I release/burst balloons with coloured powder or something similar?

Unfortunately, no. We do not permit the use of coloured powder/liquid/gas/fireworks in the Park. These may contaminate the natural environment and become a hazard to our wildlife. It is also very difficult to clean and remove all traces of these substances.

Can I drive closer to the area I have booked, so I can drop off my food and other equipment?

Unfortunately, no. You cannot drive off-road without an approved Ranger escort. These must be booked in advance with Site Hire and fees apply.

Are you able to consume alcohol in the parklands?

You are welcome to consume alcohol within the parklands at Sydney Olympic Park. However, we ask that it be in moderation and not disrupt other park users. The sale of alcohol is not permitted. The service of alcohol at picnics/events by a third-party caterer/supplier needs to be approved through the site hire booking process. Conditions will apply.